History with the CEI
PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Historically, the 160 acres of land was owned by the Canadian Pacific railroad (CPR). The CPR developed a pond at the headwaters of Horse Creek, but made no further alterations to the land. In the 1920’s, the land was sold to the Viney's, a family of ranchers. Due to the characteristics of the land, the Viney's considered it unsuitable for farming and so, for 35 years, the land remained untouched. When the founders of the CRI, the Smeeton's, purchased the land in 1964 the only change they made was to build the Main House and dig a well. Otherwise, the land was left as it was. As a result, the 160 acres of land of the CRI situated on is one of the last remaining stretches of truly unspoiled native vegetation in the area.
*SEE IF CAN TIGHTEN THIS UP AND INCLUDE THE BULK IN THE HISTORY/ABOUT US**
The Institute founded an international Cetacean survey (est.
1986 –ongoing). Upon request, the CEI has providedcaptive management
evaluations (eg. 2002, S.S.Waters, An Evaluation of Five Zoos in
Indonesia,WSPA, 2001, C.Smeeton, Husbandry Notebook, 2^nd Edition North
American river otter, AZA small carnivore TAG). The Institute provides
Field Station research facilities to undergraduate, graduate and post
graduate students. In addition to AWRA, the CEI is a member of the
International Union for the Conservation of Nature, IUCN, Reintroduction
Specialist Group, the IUCN Behavioural Action Group, the Organization of
Biological Field Stations, the canadian National Swift Fox Recovery
team, the USA Swift Fox Conservation Team, and Grasstemper a
Russian-based international organization devoted to the preservation,
conservation and research on the world’s temperate grasslands.
for reintroduction (1972), initiated the Canadian swift fox
reintroduction programme (1978 – 1997), the first swift fox
reintroduction in the USA (1998-2002) and is currently working in
partnership on the first reintroduction of swift fox on aboriginal land